I've decided it's coleslaw season. Or dang-near close enough.
Now, prepared deli + restaurant coleslaws are a health atrocity.
If you've ever checked the ingredients on a tub of deli or restaurant coleslaw, or coleslaw dressing, you know exactly what I'm talking about.
Pre-made coleslaws and coleslaw dressings are filled with mouth-watering chemical additives, cheap + refined fats/oils, loads of sugar and a variety of other ingredients that aren't helpful or healthful to our bodies.
I've suffered too long, through too many BBQs without a decent coleslaw. So, as usual, I decided to invent my own.
This coleslaw recipe is so easy, with a whole 8 required ingredients, none of which are soy or canola or sugar or high fructose corn syrup or poly-blah-blah-blah preservatives.
Here's to a coleslaw that will leave us feeling light and clean and content after eating, rather than heavy, slimy, bloated... and oddly craving more.
Here's to a coleslaw with a little crunch, a little zip, a perfect creamy fill, and a whole lotta health for you and your spring-lings. :)
Easy Spring Slaw - No Mayo, No Dairy, Creamy Coleslaw
Paleo, Vegan, Vegetarian, Whole30, Low Carb, Keto
20 mins prep time
Makes 10+ cups
CONSIDER MAKING 4 HOURS AHEAD (or the night before serving): We think this slaw tastes better if it can sit a bit, which lets the flavor steep + the veggies soften. :)
- CABBAGE, 1 large or 2 small heads, or 4 bags pre-chopped - I recommend using 1/2 red + 1/2 green cabbage because it's just prettier ;)
- BROCCOLI/CARROT SLAW, 1 bag
- APPLES, 2 - optional. if you're against carbs, you can leave them out, but I highly recommended keeping them in for flavor (even if you pick them out)
- BELL PEPPERS, 1-2 - optional
- CILANTRO, fresh, 1 bunch - with stems!
- AVOCADOS, 2 large
- VINEGAR, 1 cup - I blend 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar + 1/2 cup white vinegar
- WATER, 1/3 cup
- MUSTARD, 2 tbsp - any prepared variety (not dry powder). stone-ground is good
- SEA SALT, 2+ tsp, to taste
- LEMON JUICE, 2 tbsp
EQUIPMENT + SETUP
helpful: FOOD PROCESSOR / BLENDER
- CUTTING BOARD
- SLICING KNIFE
- LARGE BOWL / CONTAINER
- MEASURING CUPS
- Chop CABBAGE, APPLES, and BELL PEPPERS into bite-sized chunks.
- In a large bowl/container, mix together CABBAGE, BROCCOLI SLAW, APPLES + BELL PEPPERS.
- Chop CILANTRO just enough to get into food processor/blender (or into small pieces if not using either).
- Using food processor/blender (or by hand), puree the "dressing" out of AVOCADOS, CILANTRO, VINEGAR, WATER, LEMON JUICE, MUSTARD.
- Pour "dressing" over slaw mixture, stirring to coat evenly.
- Cover + refrigerate, mixing well before serving.